Thursday, August 26, 2010

Autism sucks.

Life is crazy currently and I am spending all my free time online reading everything I can about Autism and everything that goes with it.  Here I go with the updates..

We have finally gone forward with the dreaded diet!  It is dreaded for a reason.  It gets easier AND harder as you go.  I know!  Crazy!  Currently Wyatt (and the rest of us when we are with him) is gluten(wheat, barley, rye), dairy, lactose, casein, soy, dye, artificial (and most of the time natural) flavor, preservative and basically junk free.  What does he eat, right?  He mostly eats fresh meat, fruits, and veggies that we season ourselves and try to make them taste decent.  He can also have potatoes, rice, and corn in moderation.  We may be removing corn too, but that is for another day.

We saw incredible improvement in the 1st week of this diet and the first 3 weeks were amazing!  His behavior was so much better and his speech exploded!  He had better eye contact and almost no *in another world* moments.  Slowly this started to decline bringing us to now and he is much worse then he was before we started the diet.  The one thing that has stuck around is his speech.  Long sentences, less gibberish, more words, bigger words, and he puts sentences together correctly most of the time.

From what I have learned, I believe this new horrible behavior is a yeast problem.  The saying, "Gonna get worse before it gets better." really applies here.  I am now looking into a good yeast protocol to fight this issue.  So far, he is taking a good multi vitamin/mineral, soy free cod liver oil, vitamin d, melatonin, Epsom salt baths, and a good probiotic.  I am starting digestive enzymes as soon as they come in the mail.  Looking at Biotin and GSE to fight the yeast.

We have had his hearing and eye sight checked and all looks good.  I stumbled across a DAN! doctor who is actually in our town and we have an appt. with him in a few days for a free consultation.  I really hope we can afford to see him as he is trained in the way I believe we need to *treat* Wyatt's symptoms.

Wyatt will be starting his 2nd (technically his 1st full year) of PreK in the second week of September.  We decided to send him back to the special needs class at the ESD.  Benefits are smaller class size, more teachers, teachers who are trained to help these kids, teachers who are supportive of our diet choices, and built in therapy for all his needs.  Wyatt is thrilled to go back and to ride the bus again!
I think this is the best decision whether we decide to do public school or home school for K-12.  That is also a whole other post.

In general, the last month has been hell.  Wyatt's behavior has been..indescribable.  He has not been the boy I know he really is under all this crappy crappy Autism.  On top of that, Addison is turning 3 and she adores her older brother SO much that she aspires every day to be E.X.A.C.T.L.Y. like him.

Lord help me...they have spent more time separated and in their rooms in the last month then outside playing like kids should be.  Breaks my heart, but it's the only way I have saved my sanity..

No comments: